Saturday, May 8, 2010

Refer Madness

The other day I got home to find J clearing out the fridge. I ask her what's going on and she tells me that it is 60 degrees in there and apparently not working. I jump into troubleshooting mode. I futz with this and that but nothing is readily apparent. I check the web for info, finding some good and some crap.

I'm wary of appliance repair people (persons?) in general ever since I saw a report about appliance repairmen that gouge you. Appliance repair is seemingly a black art but it's just switches, timers, motors and the like so what's the mystery?

Well I was about stumped in this endeavor until I had a chance to peruse the electrical schematic stuffed inside an interior panel. Then it dawned on me! The freezer fan isn't running at the same time as the compressor fan. I check line voltage at the motor connector - 120V good => motor shot.

I found some information on the web for the motor that I pulled out and I was able to cross reference it to 5 other motors. Time to make some calls. A couple places in town that are supposed to be appliance part distributors and they would only give me the OEM fan for $85, $101 & $105 - that's way too much! I call a guy down at Ankeny Hardware on SE Stark & 11th and he was able to cross my motor to an aftermarket one. Yeah!

After about 30 minutes working with the guy at the hardware counter, we got the correct motor. The great thing about his particular motor is that it's reversible and I can make it turn in the direction that I need for this application.

I installed the new motor and fan blade. Of course, it's going in the wrong direction. Quick fix and I reassembled the refrigerator and it works. We closely watched the temperatures and adjusted as needed. Freezer at 0 degrees and fridge at 38.

1 comment:

  1. "...until I had a chance to peruse the electrical schematic stuffed inside an interior panel. Then it dawned on me! The freezer fan isn't running at the same time as the compressor fan. I check line voltage at the motor connector - 120V good => motor shot." I actually spewed coffee on my computer screen when I read this. Ah yes - the old electrical schematic in the interior panel. Of course they aren't running at the same time. And you knew this because...?????? This is why appliance people gouge us - because the vast majority of us are too stupid to know there ARE schematics - much less know how to read them. ;-) I'm adding it to my "162 things my perfect future partner must know how to do" list.

    ReplyDelete