Saturday, November 28, 2009

Compost Bin

Composting yard and food waste seems to me to be a pretty easy thing to do. I grew up on a farm in the Midwest where we had to take care of our own trash. We tossed food waste to the chickens (when it was chicken type food) and table scraps went to the dog. If it burned, we put it in the incinerator. If it didn't, it would be piled up behind a shed somewhere until we had time to take it to the dump. Was it environmental or "green"? I doubt it. But anyway....

We wanted a compost bin to take care of our food waste and yard debris. I found plans for a 3-bin compost system online through the Oregon State extension office. I made a couple modifications based on available space.



I built a two bin system with removable slats in the front for access. Wire mesh on the sides and nailed in slats on the back.

I figured out a kick-stand to hold up the lid. This way it won't bash you on the noggin or flip over and rest against the neighbor's fence.

Here is the bin in action. oooooh - look at it go! This year I've dumped the majority of the yard leaves in the bin. We should have a good crop of dirt for the garden beds next spring.

No comments:

Post a Comment